2013 KCM Conference November 28, 2012
The KCM is still accepting speaker proposals for the 2013 KCM conference, which will be held in Lexington on February 25th and 26th. The deadline for speaker proposals is Friday, December 7th. Registration will remain open through February 13th or until capacity is reached. Find out more on the conference web page.
Improving Educator Quality Grant will "Flip" the Classroom November 28, 2012
The Department of Mathematics & Statistics at Northern Kentucky University, in cooperation with the Kentucky Center for Mathematics and the Departments of Teacher Education and Mathematics & Statistics at Murray State University, recently received a grant from the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education to "flip" mathematics classrooms. Project FLIP involves mathematics and education faculty from NKU and MSU, and 30 middle grades and high school teachers from nine Kentucky school districts.
Good News: Enhancing Early Math Skills to Achieve Long Term Success November 28, 2012
Research and the work of economist James Heckman illustrate the significant benefits early mathematics education has on the future success of children. As such, the KCM, in partnership with Erikson Institute, is providing high quality professional development for preschool teachers to achieve long term success for Kentuckians. Read the full story here.
How the Brain Learns: From Memorization to Understanding November 28, 2012
Dr. David Sousa uses research about how students learn and their capabilities surrounding numeracy to indicate how a teaching approach focused on innate number sense provides a better learning environment. Read his article.
Innovation Summit November 28, 2012
On November 29th-30th AdvancED and the University of Kentucky College of Education will be hosting an Innovation Summit to address innovations in narrowing the global achievement gap, next generation learning, STEM education, and organizational effectiveness. The KCM will be presenting a session, "Innovations in Kentucky Mathematics Education" on the 29th at 12:40PM in Thoroughbred Room 2. Find the program and more information here.
Senate Bill 1 Workshops November 28, 2012
The KCM will continue to host workshops to better understand the Common Core Standards for Science and how they relate to mathematics. The workshop will take place November 28th during the pre-conference day of the Innovation Summit.
NKCM Executive Director Search November 28, 2012
The committee, chaired by Dr. Gail Mackin, will meet December 7th to discuss applicants. The committee expects to interview applicants in January or February 2013.
Kentucky Numeracy Project (KNP) gets a Tech Boost November 28, 2012
Northern Kentucky University's Center for Applied Informatics has helped the KCM launch the new KNP website, a tablet friendly interactive K-3 mathematics instructional system for primary grade teachers. Read the news article news article. Find the website and latest entries that now feature virtual demos in the KNP Intervention Guide resource here.
Professional Development Updates and Offerings November 28, 2012
For more information about the offerings below, see KCM Growth Opportunities.
- Advantage Math Recovery (AVMR) Course 2 has been expanded to 4 days to spend more time on instruction in the areas of multiplication, division, and place value.
- Middle Grades PD Opportunities: Beginning in January, the KCM will be offering two courses: Improving Mathematics Learning for Students with Disabilities; and Mathematics Content-Focused Coaching Communities. Underlying these courses is the belief that good mathematics teaching begins with understanding how the subject is learned and how students approach mathematical problem solving.
- Kentucky Numeracy Project Intensive (KNPI) Course: There will be another KNPI course starting in January. The course is built around AVMR and is designed for elementary grades teacher to learn and practice assessments and teaching strategies for advancing students' foundational number knowledge.
Mathematics Achievement Fund November 28, 2012
- Full community members can now register for the KCM's post conference day on February 27th.
- Full community members, please note the updates and revisions when you login to the fluency assessment webpage.
- Assure that your school is following the requirements and find other useful documents here.
- If you need a reminder of any passwords, email Jennifer Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of all MIT passwords on one page.